Tonge with Haulgh
TONGE, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bolton parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies 1¼ mile NE of Bolton r. station. Post town, Bolton. Acres, with Haulgh, 1,030. Real property, with Haulgh, £11,421; of which £800 are in mines and £375 in railways. Pop. of T. alone, 1,521. Houses, 287. The property is divided among a few. Cotton manufacture is carried on. Two kistvaens, an earthen urn, and some ancient armour were found in a barrow in 1821. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2,884. Houses, 524. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £187. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern. Charities, £37. The sub-district contains four townships. Acres, 3,100. Pop., 7,156. Houses, 1,426.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Cemetery Rd, Cemetery, Tonge Fold
- St Chad, Longworth Street, Church of England, Tonge Fold
- St Aidan, Crompton Way, Church of England
- St Augustine of Canterbury, Thicketford Rd, Church of England
- Starkie Rd, Congregational
- St Andrew, Tonge Moor Rd, Methodist
- St Columba, Ripley St, Roman Catholic
- Tonge Moor Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tonge Moor area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Bolton. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Tonge with Haulgh to another place. Bolton. Tonge with Haulgh in the 19th century. maps of Tonge Moor and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD729105 (Lat/Lon: 53.590368, -2.410894), Tonge Moor which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview