Tonge with Haulgh
TONGE, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bolton parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies 1¼ mile NE of Bolton r. station. Post town, Bolton. Acres, with Haulgh, 1,030. Real property, with Haulgh, £11,421; of which £800 are in mines and £375 in railways. Pop. of T. alone, 1,521. Houses, 287. The property is divided among a few. Cotton manufacture is carried on. Two kistvaens, an earthen urn, and some ancient armour were found in a barrow in 1821. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2,884. Houses, 524. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £187. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern. Charities, £37. The sub-district contains four townships. Acres, 3,100. Pop., 7,156. Houses, 1,426.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Cemetery Rd, Tonge Fold, Cemetery
- Starkie Rd, Congregational
- St Aidan, Crompton Way, Church of England
- St Augustine of Canterbury, Thicketford Rd, Church of England
- St Chad, Longworth Street, Tonge Fold, Church of England
- St Andrew, Tonge Moor Rd, Methodist
- Tonge Moor Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- St Columba, Ripley St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tonge Moor area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Bolton. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Tonge with Haulgh to another place. Bolton. Tonge with Haulgh in the 19th century. maps of Tonge Moor and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD729105 (Lat/Lon: 53.590368, -2.410894), Tonge Moor which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.