TORVER, a township-chapelry in Ulverston parish, Lancashire; on the Coniston railway, 2 miles SW of Coniston. It has a post-office under Windermere, and a r. station. Acres, 3,670. Real property, £1,180. Pop., 194. Houses, 42. The manor belongs to the Queen. The scenery is highly picturesque. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £113. Patron, the Rev. A. Peache. The church was rebuilt in 1848. There are an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £7.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- John Dawson, 'Torver', published by Phillimore & Co., 1985.
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Torver area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Ulverston. Residents in 1882 found in Mannex's directory of Furness and Cartmel. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Torver to another place. Ulverston. history of Torver as described in Mannex's directory of Furness and Cartmel, 1882. maps of Torver and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD285943 (Lat/Lon: 54.339233, -3.101255), Torver which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.