TRAWDEN, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles ESE of Colne r. station, and has a post-office under Colne. The township includes Winewall hamlet; and comprises 2,510 acres. Real property, £6,687. Pop. in 1851, 2,601. in 1861, 2,087. Houses, 426. The decrease of pop. was caused by scarcity of employment for hand-loom weavers. The property is much subdivided T. House is the seat of Mrs. Pilling. The chapelry was constituted in 1845, and is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1,516. Houses, 309. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1845. There are three dissenting chapels, and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)