TURTON, a township chapelry and a sub-district in Bolton parish and district, Lancashire. The chapelry lies 4 miles N by E of Bolton; contains Chapeltown and Oaks r. stations; and has a post-office under Bolton, a workhouse, and a cattle-fair on 4 and 5 Sept. Acres, 4,110. Real property, £13,678; of which £550 are in quarries, and £40 in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4,158; in 1861, 4,513. Houses, 855. The property is subdivided. There are numerous good residences. Industry is carried on in cotton-mills, print-works, bleach-works, an iron-foundry, and a paper-mill. Ancient British and Roman relics have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £161. Patron, G. M. Hoare, Esq. There are four dissenting chapels, several public schools, and charities £30. The sub-district includes two other townships, and comprises 7,080 acres. Pop., 5,459. Houses, 1,024.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Cornerstone, Lord's Stile Lane, Baptist, Bromley Cross
- St Andrew, Queen's Ave, Church of England, Bromley Cross
- St Anne, High Street, Church of England
- Blackburn Road, Independent, Egerton
- St John the Evangelist, The Crescent, Roman Catholic, Bromley Cross
- Darwen Rd, Wesleyan Methodist, Birtenshaw
- Blackburn Road, Wesleyan Methodist, Egerton
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Turton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Blackburn.
You can see pictures of Turton which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Turton to another place. Bolton. Turton in the 19th century. maps of Turton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD720153 (Lat/Lon: 53.633463, -2.424923), Turton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview