TYLDESLEY, a town, and a township-chapelry, in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Manchester and Wigan railway, at the intersection of the line from Kenyon to Bolton, 2½ miles ENE of Leigh; and has a post-office under Manchester, a r. station, several inns, a temperance and education hall, a church of 1825 with tower and spire, four dissenting chapels, national schools, and extensive cotton mills. Pop. in 1861, 3,950. Houses, 815. The chapelry includes Shackerley hamlet, and is called T.-with-Shackerley. Acres, 2,474. Real property, £21,620; of which £5,358 are in mines, and £45 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 5,397; in 1861, 6,029. Houses, 1,254. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180.* Patron, Lord Lilford.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)