Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tyldesley with Shakerley
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
TYLDESLEY, a town, and a township-chapelry, in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Manchester and Wigan railway, at the intersection of the line from Kenyon to Bolton, 2½ miles ENE of Leigh; and has a post-office under Manchester, a r. station, several inns, a temperance and education hall, a church of 1825 with tower and spire, four dissenting chapels, national schools, and extensive cotton mills. Pop. in 1861, 3,950. Houses, 815. The chapelry includes Shackerley hamlet, and is called T.-with-Shackerley. Acres, 2,474. Real property, £21,620; of which £5,358 are in mines, and £45 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 5,397; in 1861, 6,029. Houses, 1,254. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180.* Patron, Lord Lilford.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan library.
- Shuttle St, Welsh Baptist
- High Street, Congregational
- St George, Elliott Street, Church of England
- St John, Mosley Common Road, Mosley Common, Church of England
- Primrose St North, Independent Methodist
- The Square, Elliott St, Lady Huntingdons Connexion
- City Rd, New Manchester, Mosley Common, Primitive Methodist
- Elliott Street, Primitive Methodist
- Shuttle St, Primitive Methodist
- Lower Elliott St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Shuttle St, New Jerusalem
- Top Chapel, The Square, Elliott St, Pentecostal
- Milk St, Welsh Presbyterian
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Tyldesley area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Tyldesley with Shakerley area is Wigan and Leigh.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Tyldesley which are provided by:
In 1835 Tyldesley with Shakerley was a township in the parish of Leigh.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Tyldesley has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD699017 (Lat/Lon: 53.511107, -2.455365), Tyldesley which are provided by: