Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
ULVERSTON - popularly Ooston - a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands on the Furness railway, near the influx of the river Leven to Morecambe bay, 5 miles NE of Dalton-in-Furness; belonged to the Saxon magnate Ulph or Ulpha; was given, by King Stephen, to Furness abbey; superseded Dalton, after the dissolution of monasteries, as practically the capital of Furness; is now a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling place; publishes two weekly newspapers; carries on brewing, iron-founding, the manufacture of linens, checks, ginghams, and wood-hoops, and a considerable coasting trade; presents a modern, well built, cleanly appearance, with streets branching from a market place; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, two banking offices, two hotels, a court-house, a police station, a concert-hall built in 1850, a temperance hall, an iron market-cross of 1821, a parochial church restored in 1864, another church built in 1832, three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a subscription library, a people's library, an endowed school with £31 a year, two proprietary schools, a national school, a workhouse, charities £56, a weekly market on Thursday, five annual fairs, and races or flan-sports in Aug. Pop. in 1851, 6,433; in 1861, 6,630. Houses, 1,348. more ...
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Fountain St, Baptist
- Free Grace, Quay St, Baptist
- Soutergate, Independent
- Holy Trinity, New Church Lane, Church of England
- St Jude, Cross Lane, South Ulverston, Church of England
- St Jude, North Lonsdale Rd, South Ulverston, Church of England
- St Mary, Church Walk, Church of England
- Burlington St, Free Church of England
- Bible Christian, Swarthmoor
- Union St, Primitive Methodist
- Bethel Chapel, Goad St, Swarthmoor, Primitive Methodist
- Neville St, Wesleyan Methodist
- North Lonsdale Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Union St, Church of Christ
- Burlington St, Salvation Army
- Meeting House Lane, Swarthmoor, Society of Friends
- Prince's St, Society of Friends
- St Mary of Furness, Fountain St, Roman Catholic
- St Mary of Furness, Victoria Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Ulverston area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Ulverston area is Ulverston
You can see pictures of Ulverston which are provided by:
from Mannix & Co., History, Topography and Directory of Westmorland, 1851.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Ulverston has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD286784 (Lat/Lon: 54.196373, -3.095920), Ulverston which are provided by:
The Ulverston Heritage Centre
is a charitable organisation, dedicated to the preservation, restoration and public use of a wide range of artefacts, documents and pictures.