Holy Trinity, Ulverston - Church of England
New Church Lane,
Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society.
Holy Trinity Church is an elegant yet substantial building in the early English style of architecture, with a spiral tower. It was erected in 1832 by public subscription, aided by a grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners. The altar-piece is a copy of Guido's Crucifixion, by Ghirardi, from the original in the church of Lorenzo di Luciana, in Rome, and was presented by the late Colonel Braddyll. The church was restored and enlarged in 1881, and will now accommodate 780 persons. The organ also was rebuilt, and greatly improved in size and tone, at a cost of £600. There is a beautiful stained glass window to the memory of the late Charles Kennedy, Esq., and two others were added in 1881, by Mr. Kennedy, of Stone Cross. The appearance of the interior of the church is now (June, 1882) being still further improved by the addition of a beautiful marble reredos from the studio of Messrs. Miles & Affleck, sculptors and monumental masons, Ulverston. The stipend, worth £180 net, is derived from fees and pew-rents, and the living is in the same patronage as St. Mary's. The benefice is styled a vicarage, and is now held by the Rev. L. R. Ayre, M.A., Cantab.The foundation stone was laid on 3 October 1829 and the church was consecrated 5 July 1832. It was declared redundant in 1975.
from Mannex's directory of Furness & Cartmel, 1882
Holy Trinity was one of a series of new churches which were assisted by parliamentary funds, particularly in Lancashire, in order to meet the needs of expanding populations. They were often described as Commissioners churches. The church's origins have been outlined in the book Dear Mr Salvin (published by Helm Press of Natland, 1999). This book is based on correspondence between the clerk of works, William Brocklebank, and the London architect, Anthony Salvin.
After closure it had a varied existence, serving from 1977 as a sports hall which included a bar, squash courts and jacuzzi, before being sold in 1987 for eventual conversion into flats. However, much of the church exterior and many of the memorials in the graveyard have survived intact.
Original registersThe Cumbria Record Office, Barrow hold:
- Baptisms 1832-1973
- Marriages 1836-1975
- Burials 1835-1972
Copies of Bishop's Transcripts
- 1832-1868 held by Lancashire Record Office DRC 2/56 - Microfilm
- 1836 held by Lancashire Record Office DRC 2/56 - Microfilm
- 1835-1868 held by Lancashire Record Office DRC 2/56 - Microfilm
- 1832-1837 available from Lancashire Parish Register Society volume 166 - Book
- 1836-1837 available from Lancashire Parish Register Society volume 166 - Book
- 1835-1837 available from Lancashire Parish Register Society volume 166 - Book
- to 1936 held by Lancashire Record Office CWAAS Tract X1X - Printed
- this church marked on a Google map. (Use this to report a corrected location)
- Google Streetview (Drag pegman to centre of map to show picture)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Google maps showing nearby churches with satellite image option.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.
Help requiredThe information provided has been obtained from a number of sources and although every effort is made to avoid errors, just a few may be present. So if there are any please let us know. [Use the link at the bottom of this page].
If you have any further information about the church that you think would be useful to other researchers then do get in touch.