UPHOLLAND, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile NNW of Orrell r. station and 4 W of Wigan; and has a post-office under Wigan, and a cattle and horse fair on Easter Monday. The township contains also three hamlets, and comprises 4,452 acres. Real property, £16,912; of which £5,500 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,359; in 1861, 3,463. Houses, 685. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Skelmersdale. Holland Grove is the seat of G. Bolderstone, Esq. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in 1319, by Sir R. de Holland; and has left some remains. Stone and slate are quarried, and fire bricks are made. The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Pop., 6,091. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron. the Rector of Wigan. The church was the chapel of the priory. A school at Pimbo-Lane is used as a chapel of ease. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school, two national schools, and charities £110. The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 9,220. Pop., 6,982. Houses, 1,360.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Christ the Servant, Birkrig, Church of England, Digmoor
- St Thomas the Martyr, Church St, Church of England
- The Skelmersdale Assembly of the Churches of Christ, Birleywood, Churches of Christ, Digmoor
- Alma Hill, Methodist
- Daniel's Lane, Primitive Methodist, Digmoor
- Crawford Rd, Primitive Methodist
- Jubilee, Roby Mill, Primitive Methodist
- St Francis of Assisi, Beechtrees, Roman Catholic, Digmoor
- St Joseph, College Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Teresa, College Rd, Roman Catholic
- United Methodist Free Church
- School Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Upholland area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.West Lancashire.
You can see pictures of Upholland which are provided by:
"UPHOLLAND, an ancient chapelry, four miles and half west of Wigan, is rendered memorable by the great and ill-fated family who derived their descent and name herefrom, as well as for its monastery, which was created in 1318, through the means of Sir Robert de Holland, Knight. In 1546 the priory was sold to John Holcroft, Esq.; and at a subsequent period it became the property of Thos. Owen, Esq. from whom it passed by his daughter's marriage with Holt Leigh, Esq. down to his descendant, the present proprietor, Sir Robt. Holt Leigh, Bart. But little now remains of the ancient abbey except the church, which is used as a chapel of ease, and is in the patronage of the rector of Wigan, and in the incumbency of the Rev. John Bird. An increase in the population of this chapelry has taken place of about 1,000 persons within the last twenty years, which is to be attributed to the progress of manufacturers. By the last census the number of inhabitants was 3,042."gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Upholland to another place. Wigan. maps of Upholland and places within its boundaries.
Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the county of Lancashire - Pigot & Co. 1828
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD522051 (Lat/Lon: 53.540351, -2.722772), Upholland which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- Liverpool & Southwest Lancashire Family History Society - Skelmersdale & Upholland Group
- Lancashire Parish Register Society