HOLKER (UPPER), a township in Cartmel parish, Lancashire; containing the chief part of Cartmel town; containing also Beckside hamlet; and extending northward to the river Leven. Acres, 6, 550. Real property, £5,726; of which £65 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 1,134; in 1861, 1,035. Houses, 199. The decrease of pop. was caused by diminished employment in a reconstructed cotton mill, which required fewer hands than a previous one destroyed by fire. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Gunpowder mills are at Low Wood. A charitable fund in this township arose from the purchase of five acres of land with 185½ guineas, found in the pocket of a travelling beggar, who died in a lodging house here in 1799.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Finsthwaite Lane, Backbarrow, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Upper Holker area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Ulverston. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Upper Holker to another place. Cartmel. maps of Upper Holker and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD349809 (Lat/Lon: 54.219678, -2.999913), Upper Holker which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.