HOLKER (UPPER), a township in Cartmel parish, Lancashire; containing the chief part of Cartmel town; containing also Beckside hamlet; and extending northward to the river Leven. Acres, 6, 550. Real property, £5,726; of which £65 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 1,134; in 1861, 1,035. Houses, 199. The decrease of pop. was caused by diminished employment in a reconstructed cotton mill, which required fewer hands than a previous one destroyed by fire. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Gunpowder mills are at Low Wood. A charitable fund in this township arose from the purchase of five acres of land with 185½ guineas, found in the pocket of a travelling beggar, who died in a lodging house here in 1799.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)