URSWICK, a parish, with four townships, in Ulverston district, Lancashire; 3 miles SSW of Ulverston r. station. Post town, Ulverston. Acres, 4,100. Real property, £8,650; of which £400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 891; in 1861, 1,080. Houses, 215. The property is much subdivided. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300. Patrons, the Landowners. The church was recently restored. The p. curacy of Bardsea is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school with £15 a year, and charities £23.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)