WALMERSLEY, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bury parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near Summerseat r. station, 2¼ miles N of Bury; carries on manufactures similar to those of Bury; and has a post-office under Bury, Lancashire. The township includes Shuttleworth, 2½ miles to the N; and bears the name of W.-cum-Shuttleworth. Acres, 5,056. Real property, £20,417; of which £400 are in mines, £228 in quarries, and £163 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,802; in 1861, 5,298. Houses, 1,003. The chapelry excludes Shuttleworth, and was constituted in 1843. Pop. in 1861, 3,269. Houses, 628. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £23. The sub-district excludes part of W. township, but includes small parts of three other townships. Pop. in 1861, 5,062. Houses, 964.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)