WALTON-LE-DALE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Blackburn parish and Preston district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Ribble, 2 miles SE of Preston r. station; and has a post-office under Preston. The township includes Bamber-Bridge and Higher Walton villages and three hamlets; and comprises 4,630 acres. Real property, £22,358; of which £72 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 6,855; in 1861, 7,383. Houses, 1,387. The property is much subdivided. W. Lodge, W. Hall, Darwen Bank, Darwen Cottage, Cooper Hill, Prospect Hill, Lostock Hall, and Highwood are chief residences. There are five cotton-mils, a print-work, an iron-foundry, and a corn mill; and market gardening is considerable. The chapelry formerly included all the township, but now excludes Bamber-Bridge and Higher Walton. Pop., 3,283. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was rebuilt about 1350, and partially restored in 1794, 1816, and 1861. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £78. The sub-district contains three townships. Acres, 9,400. Pop., 8,654. Houses, 1,634.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)