Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
WARTON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township lies near Morecambe bay, the Kendal canal, and Carnforth r. station, 6½ miles N by E of Lancaster; and includes Lindeth hamlet. Acres, 2,924. Real property, £3,754. Pop., 581. Houses, 131. The parish contains also Carnforth township, which has a post-office under Lancaster; contains likewise 5 other townships; and comprises 11,141 acres. Pop., 2,161. Houses, 443. The property is much subdivided. Hyning Hall, Hazlemount, Linden Hall, Prospect House, Leighton Hall, and Morecambe Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church was repaired in 1850, and has seven memorial windows. The p. curacies of Silverdale and Yealand-Conyers are separate benefices. Two school-houses, at Carnforth and Priest-Hutton, are used as chapels of ease There are chapels for Quakers and Roman Catholics. The sub-district includes also three townships of Bolton-le-Sands, and comprises 17,932 acres. Pop., 3,562. Houses, 732.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
The Register Office covering the Warton area is Lancaster.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Warton which are provided by:
Warton is an ancient parish in the county of Lancashire, situated approximately ten miles north of Lancaster. The exact origins of the church and parish are unknown. It is believed that the church in this parish was established well before the Norman conquest in 1066. The oldest portion of the church is the south wall which is of 14th century origin, though the earliest recorded incumbent dates from 1190.
The parish covers an area in excess of 11000 acres and is predominantly rural. Though in the past, it was an important staging post on the route north. So much so, it was granted a charter for a Wednesday market in about 1200 during the reign of King John. This confirms the economic importance of Warton in those early times.
More recently, Warton has been overshadowed in importance by neighbouring Carnforth, just to the south. Carnforth rose to prominence following the building of the railway station, which was opened in 1846 by the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway Company and was originally just a single platform.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD499725 (Lat/Lon: 54.145879, -2.768489), Warton which are provided by: