"WARTON, a township and a chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Ribble's estuary, 3 miles SW of Kirkham r. station; contains a scattered village of its own name; and has a postal wall-box, under Preston. Acres, 3,939; of which 2,405 are water. Real property, £2,960. Pop., 446. Houses, 91. The chapelry includes also Freckleton township, and comprises 6,598 acres. Pop., 1,325. Houses, 279. The property is much subdivided. Cotton spinning and the manufacture of sacking, sail-cloth, and cordage, are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £350.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. There are two churches, both good. There are also two Methodist chapels and a national school."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)