HOUGHTON (WEST), a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Deane parish, Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Bolton and Wigan railway, 5 miles SW by W of Bolton; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Bolton, a police station, and fairs on 27 Feb. and 12 Oct. The township comprises 4,460 acres. Real property, £16,679; of which £2,790 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4,547; in 1861, 5,156. Houses, 1,064. The land belongs chiefly to five. There are collieries, two silk factories, cotton mills, and a nail manufactory. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 3,879. Houses, 806. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170. Patron, the Vicar of Deane. The church was rebuilt in 1731; and re-rebuilt, at a cost of £5,500, in 1869-70. There are chapels for Independents, Quakers, and Methodists, and a national school. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)