WHEELTON, a township in Leyland parish, Lancashire; 3 miles NE of Chorley. Acres, 1,669. Real property, £4,309; of which £176 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,041; in 1861, 1,360. Houses, 233. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton-mills. Brinscall Hall is the seat of W.Wood, Esq. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)