WHEELTON, a township in Leyland parish, Lancashire; 3 miles NE of Chorley. Acres, 1,669. Real property, £4,309; of which £176 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,041; in 1861, 1,360. Houses, 233. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton-mills. Brinscall Hall is the seat of W.Wood, Esq. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Wheelton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Chorley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Wheelton to another place. Leyland. maps of Wheelton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD603211 (Lat/Lon: 53.684834, -2.602596), Wheelton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.