WHISTON, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 1 mile S of Prescot. It has a post-office under Prescot; and it contains Prescot workhouse. Acres, 1,793. Real property, £10,867; of which £4,381 are in mines, and £135 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,825; in 1861, 1,727, of whom 155 were in the workhouse. Houses, 318. A church was built here in 1865, at a cost of about £6,000; and is in the early English style, with tower and spire, 150 feet high. There are also a Methodist chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)