WHITTLE-LE-WOODS, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles E by S of Leyland r. station, and 6 SSE of Preston; is a scattered place; and has a postal pillar-box under Preston, and a large brewery. The township comprises 1,357 acres. Real property, £6,576; of which £80 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,310; in 1861, 2,151. Houses, 443. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of a manufactory. The property is sub-divided. Shaw Hall is the seat of T. B. Crosse, Esq. Medicinal springs were discovered in 1845; they arise from coal-borings, at a depth of 265 feet; they are much frequented by invalids and pleasure parties; and they gave rise to the erection of baths, a public hall, and a spacious hotel. The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 2,856. Houses, 587. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church was built in 1823.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)