Whittle le Woods
WHITTLE-LE-WOODS, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles E by S of Leyland r. station, and 6 SSE of Preston; is a scattered place; and has a postal pillar-box under Preston, and a large brewery. The township comprises 1,357 acres. Real property, £6,576; of which £80 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,310; in 1861, 2,151. Houses, 443. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of a manufactory. The property is sub-divided. Shaw Hall is the seat of T. B. Crosse, Esq. Medicinal springs were discovered in 1845; they arise from coal-borings, at a depth of 265 feet; they are much frequented by invalids and pleasure parties; and they gave rise to the erection of baths, a public hall, and a spacious hotel. The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 2,856. Houses, 587. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church was built in 1823.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St John the Evangelist, Preston Road, Church of England
- Preston Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- St Chad, South Hill, Roman Catholic
- St Therese of Lisieux, Dawson Lane, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Whittle-le-Woods area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Chorley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Whittle le Woods to another place. Leyland. maps of Whittle-le-Woods and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD579214 (Lat/Lon: 53.687342, -2.638974), Whittle-le-Woods which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.