WHITWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Rochdale parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 3¼ miles N by W of Rochdale r. station, and has a post-office under Rochdale. The chapelry was formerly more extensive than now. Rated property, £15,786. Recent pop., 4,324. The property is much subdivided. W. House was formerly the residence of the "Whitworth doctors;" and is now the residence of J. E. Taylor, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1775; and is cruciform, with a steeple. There is an endowed school with £14 a year. The sub-district comprises the Whitworth and Brandwood sections of Spotland township. Real property, £51,695; of which £9,465 are in mines, £2,045 in quarries, and £93 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 9,215; in 1861, 14,006. Houses, 2,717.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)