We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
WHITWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Rochdale parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 3¼ miles N by W of Rochdale r. station, and has a post-office under Rochdale. The chapelry was formerly more extensive than now. Rated property, £15,786. Recent pop., 4,324. The property is much subdivided. W. House was formerly the residence of the "Whitworth doctors;" and is now the residence of J. E. Taylor, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1775; and is cruciform, with a steeple. There is an endowed school with £14 a year. The sub-district comprises the Whitworth and Brandwood sections of Spotland township. Real property, £51,695; of which £9,465 are in mines, £2,045 in quarries, and £93 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 9,215; in 1861, 14,006. Houses, 2,717.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Millgate, Market St, Facit, Particular Baptist
- Hall St, Hallfold, Independent
- St Bartholomew, Whitworth Rake, Church of England
- St John the Evangelist, Market Street, Facit, Church of England
- Market Street, Methodist
- Tong Lane, Primitive Methodist
- Market Street, United Methodist Free Church
- Market St, Facit, Wesleyan Methodist
- Market Street, Shawforth, Wesleyan Methodist
- Market Street, Wesleyan Methodist
- Our Immaculate Mother and St Anselm, John Street , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Whitworth area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Whitworth which are provided by:
In 1835 Whitworth was a chapelry in the township of Spotland
in the parish of Rochdale
You can see the administrative areas
in which Whitworth has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD885177 (Lat/Lon: 53.655661, -2.175486), Whitworth which are provided by: