Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
WHITWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Rochdale parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 3¼ miles N by W of Rochdale r. station, and has a post-office under Rochdale. The chapelry was formerly more extensive than now. Rated property, £15,786. Recent pop., 4,324. The property is much subdivided. W. House was formerly the residence of the "Whitworth doctors;" and is now the residence of J. E. Taylor, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1775; and is cruciform, with a steeple. There is an endowed school with £14 a year. The sub-district comprises the Whitworth and Brandwood sections of Spotland township. Real property, £51,695; of which £9,465 are in mines, £2,045 in quarries, and £93 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 9,215; in 1861, 14,006. Houses, 2,717.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Millgate, Market St, Facit, Particular Baptist
- Hall St, Hallfold, Independent
- St Bartholomew, Whitworth Rake, Church of England
- St John the Evangelist, Market Street, Facit, Church of England
- Market Street, Methodist
- Tong Lane, Primitive Methodist
- Market Street, United Methodist Free Church
- Market St, Facit, Wesleyan Methodist
- Market Street, Shawforth, Wesleyan Methodist
- Market Street, Wesleyan Methodist
- Our Immaculate Mother and St Anselm, John Street , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Whitworth area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Whitworth which are provided by:
In 1835 Whitworth was a chapelry in the township of Spotland in the parish of Rochdale.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD885177 (Lat/Lon: 53.655661, -2.175486), Whitworth which are provided by: