WISWALL, or Wiswell, a township, with a village, in Whalley parish, Lancashire; 3 miles S of Clitheroe. Acres, 1,410. Real property, £2,597. Pop. in 1851, 747; in 1861, 465. Houses, 100. The decrease of pop. was caused by discontinuance of employment in print works. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)