WITTON, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies ½ a mile N of Cherry-Tree r. station, and 1½ W by S of Blackburn; and contains large cotton mills. Acres, 650. Real property, £6,904. Pop. in 1851, 1,367; in 1861, 3,292. Houses, 664. The increase of pop. arose from increase of cotton mills. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to J. Feilden, Esq. Billinge Hill is within the park, rises to an altitude of 900 feet, and commands a very extensive view. The chapelry extends beyond the township, and was constituted in 1842. Post town, Blackburn. Pop., 5,297. Houses, 1,041. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1837, and is in the Norman style. The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 6,190. Pop., 8,115. Houses, 1,580.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Witton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Blackburn. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Witton to another place. Blackburn. maps of Witton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD665276 (Lat/Lon: 53.743691, -2.509429), Witton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.