Description in 1871:
"APPLEBY, a village and a parish in Ashby-de-la Zouch district, on the confines of Leicester and Derby. The village stands 1½ mile WSW of the Mease river and the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, and 6 miles SW by S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. It has a post office under Atherstone; and is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. It is sometimes called Appleby-Magna or Great Appleby; while a hamlet a little S of it, in the same parish, is called Appleby-Parva or Little Appleby. The parish comprises 2,020 acres. Real property, £7,067. Pop., 1,070. Houses, 248. The property is not much divided. Appleby Hall is the seat of G. Moore, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £750. Patron, G. Moore, Esq. The church is a handsome structure with a spire; and has some good painted glass. There are three dissenting chapels and a free grammar school,-the latter founded in 1697, by Sir John Moore, lord mayor of London. Endowed income of the grammar school, £326; other charities £9."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," (1870-72)]