Description in 1846:
"ARNESBY, or Arnsby, a pleasant and well built village, on an eminence, 8n miles S. by E. of Leicester, and 7 1/2 miles N.E. of Lutterworth, has in its parish 1366 acres of enclosed land, and 505 inhabitants, many of whom are framework knitters. The soil is chiefly a strong fertile clay. The manor has been held by the Dispencer, Peverill, Beaumont, Saltmarsh, and other families; and in 1292, Hugh le Despencer had a market and fair here. The manorial rights are now held jointly by Mr. John Tebbs and Miss A. M. Clark; but a great part of the soil belongs to J S Sherwin, esq., Mr J Howcutt, and several smaller owners, some of whom occupy their own land."
"[WHITE's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and the Small County of Rutland. 1st Edition 1846]