GENUKI Home page
Leicestershire Towns & Pages LEICESTERSHIRE   Leicestershire Contents Switch Contents   Leicestershire Towns & Parishes Leicestershire
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby
places

Asfordby

"ASFORDBY, a parish and a pleasant village, consists chiefly of one street, on the north side of the navigable river Wreak, 3 miles W. of Melton Mowbray. Its parish, which is in East Goscote Hundred, Melton Mowbray Union and County Court District, contains 513 inhabitants, comprises 1210 acres of land, generally having a clayey soil and a flat surface." [White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition 1877]

Cemeteries

The Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society have published details of Asfordby burials from 1813 - 1865 on microfiche. (819F)
Return to top of page

Census

The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 24 covers the Melton Sub-District which includes Asfordby.
Return to top of page

Church Records

The Society of Genealogists holds copies of records from All Saints Parish Church including copies of marriages from 1564 - 1837.

Return to top of page
Return to top of page

Description and Travel.

A brief description of the village is included on the Asfordby Parish website

The MeltonWeb site also includes a description of the village.

Return to top of page

History

Paul McCann has written a brief history of the parish which is included on the parish website.

Return to top of page

Maps

Multi Media Mapping have a current map showing the location of Asfordby.

Return to top of page

Population.

Year
1801
1811
1821
1831
1841
1851
1861
1871
1881
1891
1901
1911
1921
1931
1951
Population
364
367
424
467
481
467
485
513
539
717
1,062
1,336
1,409
2,003
2,332

Poorhouses, Poor Law.

Asfordby was part of the Melton Mowbray Union which comprised of 56 parishes. The union workhouse, built in 1836 was situated on the east side of Melton Mowbray and was capable of housing 250 inmates. The 1871 census shows 126 paupers in residence.

Return to top of page


This parish page was developed by Tim Arguile. Follow this link to find help, report problems or contribute information. Valid HTML 4.0! Last updated: 8-August-2009 - Louis R. Mills