Description in 1877:
"BARLESTONE, a village, township, and chapelry, in the parish, and 2.5 miles N.E. by N. of Market Bosworth, has 602 inhabitants, and 1,039 acres of land, generally fertile, and rising boldly from a small rivulet. The Earl of Stamford and Warrington is lord of the manor, as parcel of tbe honor of Winton, but the soil belongs to Miss Selina Baker, Edward Power, Esq., Alfred Cox, Esq., J.P., William Wright, Esq., Messrs. James Brown, Thomas Kirkman, and Thomas Arnold, and Sir J. W. C. Hartopp, Bart., and several smaller freeholders, some of whom are residents. The Church is a neat Early English structure, with a tower and two bells, and was rebuilt (with the exception of the chancel, which was restored at the same time by the rector) in 1854, at a cost of £1,367, raised by subscription, principally through the exertions of the Rev. Henry Homer, BA., the present curate. The living is a curacy, annexed to the rectory of Market Bosworth, and the chapelry pays a modus of 7.75d. per acre in lien of tithes. Here is an old General Baptist Chapel, built in 1798, and rebuilt in 1865; and also a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1833. The poor have 3s. 6d. a year, left by D. Baker and T. Butler, and £3 a year as the rent of 1A. 1P. called the Bull Piece. Mr. William Sills, of Leamington Priors, left £495 12s. 4d., and Mrs. W. Sills £107 l6s. 4d. stock invested with the Charity Commissioners, the interest to be distributed yearly at Christmas, half in coats and half in blankets. The trustees of this money are the minister and churchwardens for the time being.
A FREE SCHOOL was built here in 1849, by the governors of Bosworth School, from whose funds it is still supported. It is attended by about 130 children, of whom about 40 are infants. Post from Leicester, but Market Bosworth is the nearest Money Order Office. There is a WALL LETTER Box, which is cleared at 4.30 p.m." WHITE's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition," 1877
Barlestone is a village, a chapelry and a parish which lie about 115 miles north of London, 2 miles south-west of Leicester city and 2.5 miles north-east of Market Bosworth. The parish covers about 1,074 acres (but was once slightly smaller).
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the B5830 west out of Leicester city to Desford and continue on the B582 to Barlestone.
You can see pictures of Barlestone which are provided by:
According to White's 1925 Directory of Leicestershire, a War Memorial was erected inside the church in 1920 to the seven men of the parish who fell in the Great War. It consists of a figure of St. George carved in a niche in front of the pulpit, while underneath is a tablet of Smithland slate - with an inscription.
There is also a War Memorial just inside the gates of the Cemetery.