Description in 1877:
"BESCABY, or Besk Abbey, formerly an extra-parochial manor, has been constituted a civil parish, and in 1871 had a population of 25 persons, living in 4 houses, on about 1200 acres of land. It is in Framland hundred, Melton Mowbray Union and County Court District. The parish belongs to the Duke of Rutland, and was formerly the demesne of Croxton Priory, near which there stood here some extensive buildings, surrounded by a moat. Traces of these buildings are still to be seen, near the place called Friars' Walk. William Furnival held the manor in 1382, with a view of frank pledge, as of the Honor of Winton. The chief branch of the river Eye has its source in this parish, near Bescaby Oaks; it is a fine spring of hard water, and flows in front of Bescaby House, the residence of Mr. John Edward Bright."
[WHITE's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland," 3rd Edition 1877]