Description in 1877:
"Bottesford, a large and well-built village and parish in Framland Hundred, Grantham Union and County Court District, in 1871 had 1,315 inhabitants, living in 300 houses, on 5,010 acres of land. The rateable value of the parish is £9,285. It is situated on the banks of the small river Devon in the Vale of Belvoir, and lies in the north-eastern apex of the county 4 miles N of Belvoir Castle, W. by N. of Grantham and 16 E of Nottingham, having a station on the Grantham and Nottingham Railway. The manor anciently called Bottles ford or Bocklesford, has been held by the owner of Belvoir since the time of the Norman Conquest.
The church,(St. Mary's) is a large and handsome cruciform structure of fourteenth and fifteenth century work, with alterations made after the Reformation, and consists of a nave, spacious chancel, having aclerestory windows, two aisles, south porch, and north and south transept, with a square tower at the west end, and surmounted by a handsome octagonal crocketed spire, rising to the height of 222 feet, of which the tower measures 87 feet. The tower contains a fine peal of six bells, re-hung in 1869."
[White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition 1877]