We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Church Langton

Description in 1877:
"CHURCH LANGTON parish is in Gartree Hundred, Market Harborough Union and that County Court District, comprising the township of East Langton, West Langton, Thorp Langton, and Tur Langton. It contained, in 1871, 757 persons, living in 204 houses, on 4,280 acres of land. The parish was enclosed in 1790, and is bounded bon the east and west by two rivulets, which unite in the Welland about three miles S.S.E. of East Langton."
White's "History Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, 3rd Edition," 1877
"LANGTON (WEST), a township in Church-Langton parish, Leicester; 4 miles N by W of Market-Harborough. ... More."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales", 1870-72

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 589
1861 R.G. 9 / 2250
1871 R.G. 10 / 3226

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Church Langton area or see them printed on a map.

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter and stands in East Langton.
     
  • The church was built before 1615.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1866.
     
  • The church seats 287.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Church of St. Peter on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2009.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a nice photograph of the church tower showing the clock face on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2006.
     

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1581 for baptisms, 1654 for marriages and 1651 for burials.
     
  • Another source quotes a date of 1569 for the start of the register.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (first portion).
     

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     

Description and Travel

Church Langton is a parish and a village in Leicestershire, close to the route of the old Roman Road that runs southeast out of Leicester. It is about 86 miles north of London, 11 miles southeast of Leicester city and 4.5 miles north of Market Harborough. Tur Langton parish lies to the north and Foxton parish to the southwest. The parish covers 4,280 acres and includes the townships of Tur Langton, West Langton, East Langton and Thorpe Langton.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the B6047 arterial road north out of Market Harborough. Church Langton will be just off the road to the west.
     
You can see pictures of Church Langton which are provided by:

Gazetteers

"LANGTON (WEST), a township in Church-Langton parish, Leicester; 4 miles N by W of Market-Harborough. ... More."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales", 1870-72

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Church Langton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Church Langton to another place.

History

  • The parish was largely used for grazing land.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of The Langton Arms P. H. on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
     

Manors

  • Church Langton Hall was occupied by Joseph John BROWN in 1881.
     

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP720930 (Lat/Lon: 52.530090, -0.940063), Church Langton which are provided by:

Military History

  • A round-headed Stone of Remembrance was placed in the churchyard to honour Joseph T. BROWN of the Ambulance Brigade who died in South Africa in June, 1900.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007. The fallen tree has since been removed.
     
  • There is a single Commonwealth War Grave in St. Peter's churchyard from World War One.
     

Military Records

The Commonwealth War Grave (data from www.CWGC.org) is for:

Name Rank Unit Died Family info.
E. CHENEY Private 25th Btn., Royal Fusiliers. 13 May 1916 Age 18

Politics and Government

  • The place was an ancient parish of Leicester county as well as a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Community Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013. Stop in when it is open and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
     

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings.
     

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 942
1841 869
1871 757
1881 664
1901 652

Schools

  • There was a small school built in the parish in 1875.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the old school building on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2006. It has since been converted into residential use.