Description in 1877:
"DESFORD, a large village, with many framework knitters, is pleasantly situated on a bold acclivity, about a mile south of the station, to which it gives its name, on the Leicester and Swannington Railway, 5 miles E. by N. of market Bosworth, and 8 miles W. by S. of Leicester. Desford parish, which is in Sparkenhoe Hundred, Market Bosworth Union, and that County Court District, comprises the township and the hamlet of Barrons Park, and in 1871 contained 911 persons, living in 217 houses, on 3,830 acres of land. Baron's Park, which then had 17 inhabitants, comprises about 415, situate about two miles E. of the village, and mostly in three farms."
[WHITE's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, 3rd Edition," 1877]