Description in 1871:
"ELMSTHORPE, a parish in Hinckley district, Leicester; on the Leicester and Nuneaton railway, 3 miles NE by E of Hinckley. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Hinckley. Acres, 1,650. Real property, £1,446. Pop., 45. Houses, 5. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Earl-Shilton, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church was used as the head-quarters of Richard's army previous to the battle of Bosworth; and is now in ruins." [John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales", 1870-72]
St. Mary, Elmesthorpe Lane, Elmesthorpe, Church of England
The parish was in the Earl Shilton sub-district of the Hinckley Registration District.
The name of the village and parish have appeared as "Elmesthorpe", "Elmsthorpe" and "Elmersthorpe". It was "Ailmerestorp" in 1207. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names:, 1991, Oxford University Press