Description in 1877: "ENDERBY, a large and populous village and parish, with many framework knitters, is situated on a pleasant declivity, on the west side of the vale of the Soar, 5 miles S.W. by S. of Leicester. Its parish which is in Sparkenhoe Hundred, Blaby Union, and Leicester County Court District, contained 1,390 inhabitants in 1871, living in 310 houses, on 1810 acres of land. This return contains 53 paupers in Blaby Union Workhouse, which is situated about a mile east of the village, and near the bridge which crosses the Soar. The parish is bounded on the east by the river, and on the north by a small rivulet which divides it from Braunstone. The soil is partly clay, and in some parts a light loam, and the ground is rocky and well wooded." [White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland." 3rd Edition 1877]
The church was in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (first portion).
The Society of Genealogists holds copies of parish registers including baptisms from 1559 - 1656, marriages from 1560 - 1837 and burials from 1567 - 1656 which can be studied at their library in London.
This large village, township and parish lie on the west side of the vale of the River Soar, 5 miles southwest of Leicester and 100 miles north of London. Narborough is just to the south. The parish covers just over 1,670 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the M1 Motorway (or the M69 Motorway) to the B582 arterial road soutwest out of Leicester. The village is just south off of the B582 between the M1 and M69 Motorways.