Description in 1877:
"Bowden Magna, or Great Bowden, is a long straggling village, with several good houses, pleasantly situated about a mile N.E. of Market Harborough, on the north side of the vale of the River Welland, which separates it from Northamptonshire. Its parish is in Gartree Hundred, Market Harborough Union and County Court District, and, comprising the two townships of Great Bowden and Market Harborough, in 1871 contained 3812 inhabitants, living in 831 houses, on 3120 acres of land. It is traversed on the west by the Union Canal, and on the east by the Rugby and Stamford and the Midland Railways. The soil is clay, and chiefly pasture, and is supposed to be the best grazing land in England."
[White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition," 1877]