Description in 1877:
"Glen Magna, or Great Glenn, sometimes spelt Glen, is a large and well built village, situated in a valley on the Market Harborough road, 6 miles S.E. by S. of Leicester. Many of its inhabitants are framework knitters, and its township contains 767 inhabitants and 2010 acres of land, chiefly in pasturage; but its parish is in Billesdon Union, Leicester County Court District, and Gartree Hundred, comprises also Stretton Magna Chapelry, and was enclosed in 1759, containing 800 persons, and having 2510 acres of land. The Midland Railway passes through the parish, and has a station about a mile from the village.... A brook flows through the village in its circuitous course to the Soar, and about a mile to the south it is crossed by the Grand Union Canal. The Church (St. Cuthberts), in the Decorated style, has a nave, chancel, north aisle, and a square tower, containing five bells. The register dates from the year 1585." [White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester & Rutland," 3rd Edition. 1877]
MATHEWS (or WADE-MATTHEWS) M. (1998), "Great Glen, The Story of a Leicestershire Village." Heart of Albion Press (out of print, but may be available from Leicestershire and Rutland FHS). He has also published this as a CD-ROM (ISBN: 0-9547740-2-7) with the same title. His description says "The CD not only tells the 2,000 year-old story of the village with many high resolution digital photographs, but also contains transcriptions of many documents including wills, terriers, the enclosure awards and all the censuses from 1841 to 1901." The CDROM is also available from Leicestershire and Rutland Family History Society. It is fully indexed with links to hundreds of names, making this a gold mine for family history researchers.
The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 11 covers the Billesden sub-district which includes Great Glen (Glen Magna).
The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Great Glen is a village, a township and a parish 92 miles north of London, 6 miles south-east of Leicester city and 9 miles north-west of Market Harborough. The Grand Junctioin cCanal passes through the parish only 1 mile south of the village. The parish covers 2,120 acres.
The land around the village is hilly and has been mostly pasture for centuries. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A6 south-east out of Leicester city to Great Glen.
There is currently no rail passenger service to Great Glen.
One can still find a red telephone box on the village green.
You can see pictures of Great Glen which are provided by: