Towns & Parishes
Description in 1877:
"Kibworth Beauchamp is a large and well-built village, pleasantly situated on an emminence, 6 miles N.N.W. of Market Harborough, and 9 miles S.E. by S. of Leicester on and near the turnpike road between those towns. Its township contains 1238 acres of land and 1015 inhabitants; but its parish which includes Kibworth Harcourt and Smeeton Westerby, comprises 3220 acres of land, and in 1871 contained 1975 persons. The two villages of Kibworth Beauchamp and Harcourt adjoin each other, and that of Smeeton Westerby is about a mile to the south. The parish is in the Market Harborough Union and County Court District, and Gartree Hundred. Many of the inhabitants are framework-knitters, employed chiefly in weaving worsted stockings for the Leicester manufacturers. The Leicester and London Railway, which was opened in 1856, passes through the parish, and has a station at Kibworth Beauchamp. The Union Canal traverses the western side of the parish, and passes under a hill about 1 1/2 miles S.W. of the village by a tunnel more than half a mile in length." [White's History Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition (1877)]
The Kibworth and District Chronicle has published articles on The History of Kibworth Harcourt Congregational Chapel and Kibworth Methodist Church on its 150th anniversary in 1996/7.
The parish records are at Leicestershire Records Office.
This parish page was developed by Tim Arguile