Description in 1877:
"KIRKBY MALLORY parish gives its name to a pleasant village and township on the north side of the vale of a rivulet, 4 1/2 miles N. N. W. of Hinckley and 4 miles S.E. of Market Bosworth, and in that Union and County Court District, and in 1871 contained 222 persons living in 49 houses on 2,190 acres of land. The entire parish which is in Sparkenhoe Hundred, including Earl Shilton township, in Hinckley Union and County Court District, comprises an area of 3,110 acres, and had a population of 2,275 in 1871. The soil is chiefly a light loam and gravel, and the surface diversified. The Earl of Lovelace is lord of the manor and owner of all the soil, except one farm, belonging to Mr. Thomas W. Jee; but his seat of KIRKBY MALLORY HALL is occupied by Lord de Clifford."
White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, 3rd Edition," 1877