We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Description in 1877:
"Loughborough, the second manufacturing and market town in the county, has been greatly improved and extended during the present century, and is pleasantly situated on the western side of the Soar Navigation and the Midland Railway, 11 miles N. by W. of Leicester, 15 S. by W. of Nottingham, 17 miles S. E. of Derby, and 108 N. N. W. of London, to which it was a great thoroughfare for coaches, vans &c., from the north, before the opening of the railway on which it has a commodious station. The Charnwood Forest Railway, now in the course of construction, will extend from Loughborough, by Sheepshed, to Coalville. The line will be worked by the London and North-Western Railway Company. Loughborough is a polling place, and the principal place of election for the Parliamentary representatives of the Northern Division of Leicestershire; and gives name to a Poor Law Union, and a County Court District. The navigation of the River Soar, is brought close to the east side of the town, by a canal, cut about 1776, and communicates directly with the Trent, and with Leicester and the Union Canal. A tramway , extending about 2 1/2 miles westward, to Broadhurst Hill, connected the town with Charnwood Forest Canal, which was formed about 1823, but has never been used and has long been dry. Few towns experienced a more rapid increase during the first thirty years of the present century than Loughborough; and for this increase it is indebted to the manufacture of worsted hosiery, introduced by the late Joseph Paget, Esq., and Mr. John Cook; to the spinning of mohair, a patent for which was obtained by the late Mr. Cartwright; to the great increase of cotton hosiery; and chiefly to the introduction of the lace, or bobbin net machine, by Messrs. Heathcoat and Lacey, in 1809."
White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, 3rd Edition," 1877
The town had the Permanent Library in Baxtergate by 1848, with 3,500 volumes of books. The Free Library, listed below, was built in 1904 and was the gift of Andrew Carnegie.
- Loughborough Library
- Granby Street
- Tel: (01509) 212985
- Fax: (01509) 610594
- DEAKIN, W A (1974), "C19 Loughborough: A Review of the Past Century", Echo Press, Loughborough
- HUMPHREY, W (1988), "Loughborough 1888-1988: The Birth of a Borough", Charnwood Borough Council
- WIX, D, HUMPHREY, W and KELL, I (1988), "Loughborough Past and Present", Ladybird, Loughbrough.
- The Cemetery was formed in 1857 and is on Leicester road. It contained two mortuary chapels and was placed under the Burial Board of the parish.
- The Cemetery was enlarged in 1892 to cover 12.5 acres.
- Loughborough Cemetries Burials Index is available on microfiche from the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. Each of five fiches covering the years 1857-1877, 1877-1891, 1891-1903, 1903-1916, 1916-1929 respectively can be obtained at a cost of £1.95 each.
- The parish was in the Leake sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print. Volumes 15, 16 and 17 covering the Loughborough Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 2059
||R.G. 9 / 2273 thru 2275
||R.G. 10 / 3254 thru 3258
||R.G. 12 / 2514 thru 2517
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The town was divided into two ecclesiastical parishes; All Saints and Emmanuel. In 1879 a third ecclesiastical parish was added for Holy Trinity. A fourth was created when St. Peter's was added.
- All Saints church was erected around the close of the 16th century.
- All Saints church was completely restored in 1862.
- All Saints church seats about 1,000.
- Emmanuel church was erected and consecrated on 6 September, 1837.
- Emmanuel church seats 850.
- Holy Trinity church was erected in 1878.
- Holy Trinity church seats 510.
- Saint Peter's ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1909, althought the church wasn't completed until 1912.
- Saint Peter's church seats 500.
- A Convent for the Sisters of Providence was established during the 1800s on Park lane. In addition to their charity work, they also maintained a day school under government inspection for the Loughborough poor.
- The church would have been in the rural deanery of East Akeley.
- Registers held at the The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland include:
Loughborough, All Saints (DE667/DE1619/DE2601)
- Baptisms 1538 - 1948
- Banns 1815 - 1853
- Marriages 1538 - 1978
- Burials 1538 - 1913
- Nota Bene:
- From 1554 - 1558 no entries were made in the registers
- In 1838 the parish was split into 3 separate parishes
- Loughborough, Emmanuel Parish Church (DE2594/DE4307)
- Baptisms 1838 - 1975
- Marriages 1839 - 1985
- Burials 1838 - 1886
- Loughborough, Holy Trinity (DE2602)
- Baptisms 1879 - 1961
- Banns 1879 - 1972
- Marriages 1879 - 1955
- Loughborough, St. Peters (DE3941/DE4162)
- Baptisms 1921 - 1936
- Marriages 1924 - 1956
- Burials 1912 - 1965
The Society of Genealogists holds copies of records from All Saints Parish Church and St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, which can be studied at their library in London.
The General Baptists had a chapel in both Baxtergate (1770) and Woodgate (1881).
The Unitarians had a chapel in Victoria road, founded in 1744.
The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel in Leicester road, built in 1828.
The Roman Catholics had St. Mary's Church here on Ashby road built in 1835. This building was replaced with a new church in 1924.
- The parish was in the Loughborough sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
Loughborough is a village, a township and a parish. It is on the River Soar midway between Leicester city and Nottingham city and is 114 miles north of London, 11 miles north of Leicester and 17 miles south-east from Derby. The parish covered 489 acres, most of which was pasture for sheep and cattle. The parish abuts Nottinghamshire county to the north and includes the hamlets of Knightthorpe and Woodthorpe.
If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, from the M1, turn east at the A512 and proceed into Loughborough.
- There is still passenger train service to Loughborough.
- The Loughborough Community Internet Project provides a variety of local information including a genealogy page.
- There are four museums in Loughborough.
You can see pictures of Loughborough which are provided by:
- In the mid-1800s the town sported woollen mills, framework knitting and bobbin-net-lace manufacturing. A great deal of coal passed through the town via the canal.
- The town held fairs on 28 march, 25 April, Holy Thursday, 12th August and 13 November for horses, cows and sheep. Cheese fairs were held 24 March and 30 September.
- The town had a Theater built in 1822, later purchased by the Odd Fellows to hold their meetings in.
- The Town Hall and Corn Exchange were built in 1856 in the Market place.
- The Town has, for more than a century, been home to John Aaylor and co., long noted for some of the large bells they have cast.
- The County building was built in 1860 and enlarged in 1903. Petty sessional hearings were held here every other Wednesday.
- "About Britain" have a description and history of Loughborough on their website.
- Loughborough is in the Borough of Charnwood whose heritage page provides information on museums, war memorial and the carrilon.
- Ian JESSIMAN has written a paper entitled "A General Study of the Plague in England 1539-1640 With a Specific Reference to Loughborough".
- In August, 2006, the BBC reported that workmen in Loughborough discovered a secret living chamber dug and built under a house. The house had once belonged to John HEATHCOTE who had invited the fury of the Luddites after inventing a lace-making machine in the early 1800s. It is unknown if the chambers were ever used as HEATHCOTE and his family fled to Devon after a Luddite uprising in Loughborough in 1816.
- Whilst it is aimed at home buyers, Proviser have a street index on their site linked to the Multimap street map of the town which should answer those "Does X Street still exist?" or "Where is Y Street?" questions.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK537196 (Lat/Lon: 52.771306, -1.205475), Loughborough which are provided by:
- In 1881, the 1st Leicestershire Rifle Volunteers, H Company, had its headquarters at the Corn Exchange. Captain W. WHITE commanding.
- In 1912, the 5th Battalian Leicestershire Regiment, H Company, had its headquarters at the Drill Hall in Granby Street.
- Also in 1912, the O Squadron of the Prince Albert's own Leicestershire Yeomanry had its headquarters at Toothill road.
- The name is pronounced by locals as something between "Luff-burra" and "Luff-bro". If you try to say "Louw-Boro", people will assume that you are a tourist or a rube.
- This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county. It became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the mid division of the county.
- On 25 March, 1891, this parish was enlarged by gaining a portion of Knightthorpe Civil Parish.
- On 31 December, 1891, this parish was reduced in size to help create Nanpanton Civil Parish.
- On 01 October, 1902, this parish was enlarged by the abolition of Knightthorpe Civil Parish and that area amalgamated with Loughborough.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the abolition of Barendon Civil Parish and 774 acres amalgamated with Loughborough.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the abolition of Hathern Civil Parish and 1,322 acres amalgamated with Loughborough.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the abolition of Nanpanton Civil Parish and 1,649 acres amalgamated with Loughborough.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the gaining 7 acres from of Quorndon Civil Parish.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the gaining 600 acres from of Shepshed Civil Parish.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the abolition of Thorpe Acre and Dishley Civil Parish and 1,147 acres amalgamated with Loughborough.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the gaining 300 acres from of Woodhouse Civil Parish.
- On 01 April, 1935, this parish was enlarged by the abolition of Woodthorpe Civil Parish and 292 acres amalgamated with Loughborough.
- In August, 1888, this town of Loughborough was granted a charter of incorporation.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Loughborough petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Loughborough Poor Law Union.
- A Grammer School was built on Leicester road.
- An Upper Girls' School was built here in Recotry road.
- Hickling's Girls' School was built in Ashby Road.
- Warner's Church of England School was built before 1881.
- Three additional schools were built in Churchgate.
- Today Loughborough College provides vocational and advanced education to the community.