The Loughborough Union was established by the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act and was formed in September, 1838.
The Loughborough Union included 25 parishes, some of which were in Nottinghamshire. Leicestershire: Belton, Burton-on-the-Wolds, Charley (Charnwood), Cotes, Dishley-cum-ThropeAcre, Garendon, Hathern, Hoton, Knightsthorpe, Long Whatton. Loughborough, Prestwold, Shepshed, Wimeswold, Woodthorpe. Nottinghamshire: Costock or Cortlingstock, East Leake, Normanton-on-Soar, Rempstone, Stanford-on-Soar, Sutton Bonnington, Thorpe Bochart, West Leake, Willoughby-on-the-Wolds, and Wysall.
A Loughborough Union workhouse was erected on Derby Road in 1838 to accommodate 375 inmates.
During the Chartist unrest in 1839 the Board of Guardians were concerned that the workhouse might be destroyed.
A new infirmary was added in 1869.
New Casual Wards were added in 1885.
The Board of Guardians met on alternate Tuesdays at the Workhouse.
After 1930, the workhouse became "Hastings House", a public assistance institution.
In 1948, the workhouse became an old-people's home and was called "Regent Hospital".
All the buildings have since been destroyed and the site used for new housing.
1849: John COATES, clerk to the Board of Guardians; John RAWSON, workhouse master; Appellina RAWSON, workhouse matron.
1881: John JARRATT, clerk to the Board of Guardians; William Geo. PALMER, surgeon; Rev. W. R. MANGAN, chaplain; John ASHWOOD, workhouse master; Mrs. WRIGHT, matron.
1912: Thomas MAYO, j.p., chairman; Alfred Walter JARRATT, clerk to the Board of Guardians; K. E. Stuart DOWLAND, treasurer; Henry Lowther HAY, workhouse master; Mrs. Edith HAY, workhouse matron; J. B. PIKE, medical officer.