The Bosworth Union was established by the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act and was formed in 1836.
The Bosworth Union included 32 parishes; Bagworth, Barlestone, Barton in the Beans, Bilstone, Market Bosworth, Cadeby, Carlton, Congerstone, Dadlington, Desford, Gopsall, Groby, Ibstock, Kirkby Mallory, Markfield, Nailstone, Newbold Verdon, Norton juxta Twycross, Odstone, Orton on the Hill, Osbaston, Peckleton, Ratby, Shackerstone, Shenton, Sibson, Stanton under Bardon, Stapleton, Sutton Cheney, Thornton, Twycross, Upton, and Witherley.
The number and names of parishes in the Union would vary over time.
In 1836, the Poor Law Commissioners authorised the construction on Atherstone Road of the building which was to accommodate 200 paupers from the 28 parishes that were members at the time. The member parishes covered over 79 square miles and were divided into two districts: Market Bosworth and Ibstock.
The Board of Guardians met every other Wednesday, normally at the Union House at 1pm.
In 1856, the Poor Law Commissioners authorised the construction of a new workhouse on the west side of town on Litchfield Road in Market Bosworth, again to house up to 200 paupers, although the average headcount was only 56.
An Infirmary was added in 1873. A new Board Room was added in 1898.
After the abolishment of the Poorlaw Unions in 1930, the site sat unused for a while and has since been converted into residential use.
1912: Thomas COPE, chairman; Frank BOUSKELL, clerk to the Board of Guardians; Frederick GREEN, treasurer; Hugh Nevill KEELING, medical officer; Albert LOCKETT, workhouse master; Rev. Lewis Henry PEARSON, chaplain; Mrs. H. LOCKETT, workhouse matron.