We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union
- The Poorlaw Union was the census Registration District. It made sense to use an existing political structure to manage the census.
- The 1871 census shows 126 paupers in residence.
- The Melton Mowbray Union was established by the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act and was formed in 1836.
- The Melton Mowbray Union included 56 parishes; Ab-Kettleby, Asfordby, Ashby Folville, Barsby, Bescaby, Branston, Brooksby, Broughton Nether, Broughton Upper (Notts), Buckminster, Burrow-on-the-Hill, Burton Lazars, Long Clawson, Coston, Dalby (Great), Little Dalby, Dalby-on-the-Wolds, Eastwell, Eaton, Edmonthorpe, Freeby, Frisby-on-the-Wreake, Gaddesby, Garthorpe, Goadby Marwood, Grimston, Harby, Hoby, Holwell, Hose, Kirby Bellars, Melton Mowbray, Pickwell and Leesthorpe, Ragdale, Rotherby, Saltby, Saxby, Saxelby, Scalford, Stathern, Sewstern, Shoby, Somerby, Sproxton, Stapleford, Stonesby, Sysonby, Sysonby-with-Eye-Kettleby, Thorpe Arnold, Thorpe Satchville, Twyford, Waltham-on-the-Wolds, Wartnaby, Welby, Wycomb-cum-Chadwell, Wyfordby-with-Brentingby and Wymonham.
- The number and names of parishes in the Union would vary over time.
- The workhouse was a red brick building, built in 1836 on the east side of the town on the Grantham Road. It was designed to hold 250 inmates.
- The Board of Guardians met every other Wednesday, normally at the Union House at 1pm.
- To get a complete list of all the Poor Law Unions in Leicestershire, see our Leicestershire Poorlaw Unions.
Poorlaw documents can be viewed at the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland in Long Street, Wigston Magna, LE18 2AH
Remember that some records may be restricted by the 100-year closure laws and regulations, established to protect individual privacy.
These figures are the total for all the parishes in the Melton Mobray Poorlaw Union. The Workhouse often held only about 55 inmates.
|Year ||Inhabitants |
|1841 ||19,297 |
|1871 ||19,926 |
|1881 ||20,590 |
|1891 ||21,590 |
|1901 ||22,210 |
|1911 ||24,433 |
1849: Edmund BATTY, clerk to the Union; William PARTRIDGE, workhouse master; Mrs. Jane BELL, workhouse matron; Samuel RUSHTON, schoolmaster; George NEEDHAM, porter.
1881: Samuel WESTIN, workhouse master; Mrs. Martha WESTIN, workhouse matron; G. T. WILLAN, surgeon; Rev, H. GREGG, chaplain; J. A. THOMPSON, schoolmaster.
1912: Josiah GILL, chairman; Arthur Henry MARSH, clerk to the Board of Guardians; John FLETCHER, treasurer; Thomas Charles ALCOCK, workhouse master; Robert H. FAGGE, medical officer; Rev. W. L. TUDOR, chaplain; Mrs. L. M. ALCOCK, workhouse matron.
- For a complete list of officers, staff and inmates in 1881, see the Ross Brett Workhouse site.