Description in 1871:
"NARBOROUGH, a village, a township, and a parish in Blaby district, Leicestershire. The village stands on the river Soar, and on the Fosse way, near the Leicester and Nuneaton railway, 5.5 miles S W by S of Leicester; is a considerable place; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Leicester. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £5,252. Pop. in 1851, 842; in 1861, 716. Houses, 154. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the discontinuance of a boarding-school. The parish contains also the hamlet of Huncote, and comprises 2, 657 acres. Real property, £8,220; of which £150 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,283; in 1861, 1,156. Houses, 249. The property is much subdivided.. The manor of Narborough belongs to T. Pares, Esq.; and that of Huncote, to the Earl of Stamford. Narborough Hall is the seat of W. Orton, Esq. A royal palace once stood at Huncote. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £690. Patron, T. Pares, Esq. The church is ancient, and in tolerable condition; has a Norman door-way, and a massive tower; and contains two sedilia and a piscina. A chapel of ease was formerly in Huncote. Chapels for Independents are in Narborough and Huncote. Charities, £8."
John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]