Description in 1877:
"NETHER BROUGHTON parish is in Framland Hundred, Melton Mowbray Union and County Court District, and in 1871 contained 405 persons, living in 91 houses, on 2110 acres of land, which is a fertile clay, and well adapted for pasturage. Nether Broughton village, on the Nottingham and Melton Mowbray road, 6 miles North North West of the latter town, is picturesquely situated, and nearly surrounded by the hills which form the Vale of Belvoir. Philip Pleydell Bouverie, Esq., is owner of a great part of the soil, and the rest chiefly belongs to David New, Esq., the trustees of George Urrey, Esq., and Thomas Black, Esq."
[WHITE's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition," 1877]