We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


Description in 1871:
"SAPCOTE, a parish, with a village, in Hinckley district, Leicester; adjacent to the river Soar, the Fosseway, and the Hinckley and Leicester railway, 2 miles W N W of Broughton-Astley r. station, and 4 E by S of Hinckley. Post-town, Hinckley. Acres, 1,380. Real property, £4,158. Pop., 668. Houses, 159. The property is subdivided. Frame-work knitting is carried on; stone is quarried; and there is a mineral spring, with a bath-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £625. Patron, T. Frewen, Esq. The church is old, was recently repaired, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and five alms-houses."
John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72


Sapcote has a cemetery out by Donkey Lane off Basset Lane, south-west of the village. The area is considered a "Nature Spot" for observing wildlife..


  • The parish was in the Hinckley sub-district of the Hinckley Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 6 covers the Burbage and Earl Shilton sub-district which includes Sapcote.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 603
1861 R.G. 9 / 2259
1871 R.G. 10 / 3235
1891 R.G. 12 / 2502


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sapcote area or see them printed on a map.

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to All Saints.
  • The church was built in Norman times and contains a western tower.
  • The church was thoroughly restored and an organ chamber added in 1886.
  • The church seats 257.
  • Stephen McKAY has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2006.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1564 for baptisms and from 1579 for marriages and burials.
  • The church was in the rural Guthlaxton deanery (second portion).
  • The Society of Genealogists holds microfiche copies of parish registers which include details of baptisms from 1564 -1921, marriages from 1579 - 1812 and burials from 1579 - 1918 which can be studied at their library in London.
  • The original records are held at the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland.
  • The Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1904 replaces the original one, built in 1805.
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of the Sapcote Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2012.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Hinckley sub-district of the Hinckley Registration District.

Description and Travel

Sapcote is a village and a parish 10 miles south-west of Leicester city and 4 miles east of Hinckley. The parish covers 1,550 acres.

The land around the village has been mostly pasture for centuries. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the village is just south of Stoney Stanton off the M69 motorway.
  • Golden Well is a mineral spring with reputed medicinal qualities.
You can see pictures of Sapcote which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sapcote has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sapcote to another place.


  • Sapcote Heritage Group meets once each month at the parish church.
  • Stone quarrying was an ancient occupation in the parish. It provided employment into the 20th century.
  • Roman coins and other antiquities have been found here.
  • Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the Red Lion Inn on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2006.The Inn is still an active pub with a Facebook page for locals.
Year  Person
1849 William CLARKE
1861 Edmund CLARKE
1881 Edmund CLARKE
1912 Mrs. Martha THROSSELL
1925 Mrs. Martha THROSSELL


  • The Barons BASSET once had a castle here, but only a trace of the moat remains. The barony was created in 1264.

Military History

  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the War Memorial on the west side of the church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2011.
  • The War Memorial was dedicated in September 1921. The garden is located on Church Street. There are 24 names listed on the monument.
  • There are three Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard burial ground: Two from World War I and one from World War II.

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish lies partly in the Sparkenhoe Hundred in the western division of the county.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Hinckley Poorlaw Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Bosworth petty sessional hearings.
  • Thomas FREWEN had five almshouses built in 1847.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 555
1811 692
1821 797
1831 871
1841 773
1851 724
1901 845
1931 862


  • The Public Elementary School was built in 1819 and enlarged in 1907 to hold up to 239 children.
  • Ian ROB has a photogarph of the Old School on Geo-graph, taken in . A new school now replaces that old building.