We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Description in 1871:
"SLAWSTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Uppingham and county of Leicester; 2½ miles NW of Medbourne-Bridge r. station, and 5½ NE of Market-Harborough. Post town, Market-Harborough. Acres, 1,510. Real property, £3,241. Pop., 246. Houses, 59. The manor belongs to the Earl of Cardigan. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £174. Patron, the Earl of Cardigan. The church is of the 13th century, and has a tower and spire. There is an Independent chapel."
John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72
- The parish was in the Great Easton sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2309
||R.G. 10 / 3304
||R.G. 12 / 2550
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church stands at the east end of the village on the road to Blaston.
- The church was built in the late 13th Century.
- The church was restored in 1864.
- The church seats 168.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2013.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1559.
- A Congregational chapel was built here in 1776 and rebuilt in 1850.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Market Harborough Registration District.
Slawston is a village and a parish overlooking the Welland vale, about 15 miles south of Leicester and 6 miles northeast of Market Harborough. The parish covers about 1,500 acres and includes Othorpe hamlet.
If you are planning a visit:
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Main street on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2013.
- Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
You can see pictures of Slawston which are provided by:
- Two thirds of the parish was pasturage.
- Olthorpe hamlet was depopulated, apparently, to make more land available for sheep pasturage.
- There was a windmill here in 1637.
- The Manor Farmhouse is located in Main Street.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP780940 (Lat/Lon: 52.538253, -0.851399), Slawston which are provided by:
In 1921 a marble mural tablet was erected in the church, inscribed with the names of the parishioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
- This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the southern division of the county in the ancient Gartree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- The residents of this parish have elected to forgo a formal parish council and have periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civil and political issues.
- District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here by an act of Parliament in 1793.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
- In 1760, Rev. Thomas HOPE left the interest on £100 to be given annually as coal to the poor of the parish.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Uppingham Poorlaw Union.
- In 1895. after a district re-organization, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
- The children of this parish attended school in Cranoe (Cranehoe), which was built in 1843.
- John HOLYOAKE ran a large boarding school in Slawston in the early 18th Century which had as many as 20 young gentlemen from London and elsewhere.