GENUKI Home page
Leicestershire Home Page Leicestershire
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Leicestershire
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby
places

Stanton under Bardon

Description in 1871:
"STANTON-UNDER-BARDON, a township-chapelry in Thornton parish, Leicester; near Bardon Hill r. station, 1 mile NW of Thornton village. Post town, Thornton, under Leicester. Acres, 1,400. Real property, £1,952. Pop., 312. Houses, 64. The manor belongs to Earl Grey. The living is annexed to Thornton. There is a Wesleyan chapel."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2266
1871 R.G. 10 / 3242
1891 R.G. 12 / 2507
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel.

Stanton under Bardon is a village, a chapelry and a parish which lie about 115 miles north of London, 9 miles north-west of Leicester city, 8 miles south-west of Loughborough and 2 miles east of Ibstock. The parish covered about 1,447 acres.

Most of the houses in the village are constructed of red brick. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1841 315
1871 275
1881 259
1891 352
1901 525
1911 657
1921 710
1931 690
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Valid HTML 4.01

[Last updated: 6-May-2014 - Louis R. Mills]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.