Alkborough is a parish in the north of Lincolnshire, located where the Trent River joins the Ouse River and form the River Humber. This portion of the Trent is often called Trent Falls. The parishes of Whitton, West Halton and Burton on Stather form the eastern border to the parish. The parish is 16 miles northwest of Brigg and covers about 2,875 acres. The parish includes the hamlet of Walcot, which lies about a mile south of the village of Alkborough.
The village itself stands on a cliff overlooking the rivers. Just south of the village is Alkborough Hill, providing viewing points over the rivers and surrounding countryside. If you are planning a visit:
The village itself is best reached by taking the B1430 Trunk Road north out of Scunthorpe to Burton on Stather, then continuing north into Alkborough.
Roman trenches, a 43 foot turf maze called Julian's Bower, and a 300-foot square encampment can be found on Alkborough Hill. (Sources disagree as to whether the maze is of Roman origin, but the encampment is probably theirs. The maze is more likely of medieval origin.) These are likely the remains of a Roman watchtower built to overlook the rivers. The Romans may have called this place Aquis, but that is more likely in Derbyshire.
The earthwork above is known as "Countess Close", roughly square, broken by an entrance on the North. Other sources say it is medieval, perhaps the remains of a fort. It is supposed to have been named after Countess Lucy, wife of Ivo Taillebois, who had a manor house there. She was a kinswoman of Thorold who built Alkborough church and the Lucy of the Lucy Tower in Lincoln Castle. N. Pevsner and J. Harris, "The Buildings of England," Lincolnshire Penguin, 1989, p96.
In ancient times, folks used to visit Kell Well to gather star-stones for amulets.
Motor bus service came to Alkborough in 1923 when Mr. W. JARVILL introduced service to Scunthorpe and surrounding villages.
The village participated in the Alkborough and Whitton Dividend Society (to pay for sickness and burial) and had 132 members in 1900.
The name Alkborough is from the Old English Alca+bearu, for "grove of a man named Alca". In the 1086 Domesday Book it appeared as Alchebarge and in the 12th century as Alchebarua. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
Walcot comes from Old English Walh+cot, for "Cottage of the Britons". A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
Residents of Alkborough pronounce the town name as "Auckboro" or "Auckbro", and several spelling variations can be found in old records.