The Wesleyan Methodist's had a chapel built here in 1846, rebuilt in 1877. The Methodist chapel has since closed. The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1892. Find out more at our non-conformist religions page.
Amber Hill has been described as a "gravel field of 30 acres". The parish, after formation, covered just over 5,400 acres. The village was described as "sparse" in 2002. The parish lies 7 miles west-north-west of Boston.
If you are planning a visit:
Visit the Draining Scoop Wheel and Channel on Claydyke Bank built in the 19th century.
This parish was in the ancient Kirton Wapentake in the Borough of Boston in the parts of Holland.
For the today's parish governance, contact the local Parish Council site. Remember, they are not staffed to help with family history questions. The council meets in the abandoned schoolhouse.
It is interesting to note that in the 1871 census, it is listed as a "parish".
On 20th December, 1880, Amber Hill, an extra-parochial area, was formed as a new Civil Parish. It had been part of Holland Fen's ecclesiastical parish, and included Algarkirk fen allotment, Sutterton fen allotment and a detached part of Dogdyke.
On 1 April, 1935, Amber Hill, gained a 39 acre parcel from South Kyme Civil Parish.