Anderby is both a village and a parish on the shore of the North Sea, about 5 miles due east of Alford, 14 miles Northeast of Spilsby and just south of Huttoft parish. The A52 trunk road skirts the west edge of the parish. Anderby Creek is the name of a hamlet and a creek, which runs through the parish and empties into the North Sea. The parish encompasses approx. 1,362 acres.
Anderby village is a long, narrow affair. The quiet hamlet of Anderby Creek lies on the seashore, where folks can stop for lunch at the Beach Cafe. If you are planning a visit:
Anderby is just off the A52 to the east.
For folks on holiday, there are unspoilt seaside beaches and canoeing on the creek. Caravan and camping facilities can be found in the parish and in nearby Huttoft.
An infamous local character was the notorious Skegness smuggler Thomas HEWSON. Hewson was a tailor by profession, but left his family in his native Anderby to take up the free-trade. Among other dark deeds, he was suspected of the murder of a young man of Sloothby: Hewson was known to have lured the lad away from his employer, and was caught with a watch belonging to the youth. However, the body was never found.
In the early 1900's, brick were made at Anderby. The Lincolnshire Film Archive features a one-minute black and white film of the process from 1934.
The parish had a Coast Gurad station at Anderby Creek on the North Sea.
The name Anderby is from the Old Scandinavian Ander+by, or "village of a man named Arnthorr". It appeared in the 12th century as Andreby. ["A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]