The Anglican Parish Church was dedicated to Saint Andrew.
The church went into decay before 1800. By 1842, a small building on the site had been converted to use as a mortuary chapel. That was replaced with a small brick building in 1871, when the cemetery was enlarged.
Around 1910, the Bishop began granting special license for Sunday services to be held in the mortuary chapel.
St. Andrew's churchyard served both Apley and Stainfield as a burial ground. But the residents of Apley attended services in Stainfield.
Apley is both a parish and a village about ten miles east of Lincoln and two and a half miles south-west of Wragby. Langton by Wragby parish lies to the east, Goltho parish to the north and Stainfield parish to the south. The parish covered about 1,660 acres in 1842, including 300 acres of woodland. The parish includes the hamlets of Hop Lane, New Apley and Kingthorpe (this last, one mile east of Apley village).
The parish is just south of the A158 trunk road as it passes between Lincoln and Horncastle, and west of the B1202 road. If you are planning a visit:
The name origin is from an Old English appel+leah for "apple wood". In the 1086 Domesday Book, it is rendered as "Apeleia". [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
White's 1842 Directory lists the following names in the parish: John CHAPMAN, John COOCKING, John Martin CONEY, Wm. GLASIER, Rt. HARDY, Jas. LANE, John LYON, Richard PARKER, Thos. PARKINSON, Thos. SHARP, John TYE and John WALES.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following names in the parish: William CHESMAN, William GLAZIER, Bryan HAND, Peter HAND, John HOLMES, Henry JESSUP, Richard PARKER, Thomas SHARP and John WALES.
White's 1882 Directory lists the following names in the parish: George ATKIN, John COPPING, Geo. DAVISON, Benj. GARSIDE, Charles GAUNT, Bryan HAND, Peter HAND, John HOLMES, Henry JESSUP, Wm. LEIGHTON, Richard PARKER, John ROBINSON and James WEST.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Leonard ATKIN, William CHESSMAN, John HOLMES, Henry JESSUP, George MAWER, Edward SAXELBY, Henry SAXELBY, Robert SERGEANT and Thomas SHARP.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Leonard ATKIN, William CHESMAN, Joseph JESSUP, George MAWER, Rebert PEPPER, Senior PEPPER, Edward SAXELBY and Robert SERGEANT.