- The parish was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- We have a partial surname extract from the 1901 census. It is a pop-up text file: 1901 Ashby Surnames.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2401
||R.G. 10 / 3433
||R.G. 12 / 2628
- The local Anglican church was first opened on Jan 26th, 1899 and is dedicated to St. Paul. It was built of corrugated iron and erected at the back of the Ashby Post office and KENDALL family home. Naturally, it gained the name "The Tin Tabernacle". This church could seat about 400 people.
- In 1925 the new St. Paul's was built at the rear of the old from local ironstone.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds records of baptisms from 1913 through 1942 and marriages from 1926 through 1938.
- There was no graveyard at St, Paul's, so burials were conducted at Bottesford's St. Peter.
- For help with Ashby lookups, contact Maria Borrill via her web site.
- Check the Manlake Deanery to see which Marriage Indexes exist for earlier periods. Remember to check the Bottesford parish registers, as well.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel in the mid 1800s and the Primitive Methodists had a chapel here in 1884. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Ashby (or Ashby St. Paul) is a village and a parish in the north of Lincolnshire which is part of the modern city of Scunthorpe. The parish was formed in 1899 from part of Bottesford parish when the township of Ashby grew so large due to the influx of steelworkers to the Scunthorpe area over 130 years ago. The parish covers about 2,235 acres.
The village is 7 miles west of Brigg. If you are planning a visit:
- The village is perhaps best reached by taking the B1450 off of the A18 trunk road where it passes through Scunthorpe.
- There is golf available at the Appleby Frodingham Par 3 Course.
- There are a number of good golf courses in the area, and Ashby is home to the Ashby Decoy Golf Club, Burringham Road, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, DN17 2AB, Tel: 01724 866561 sporting 18 holes.
- See our touring page for area resources.
- In 1859, landowner Rowland WINN invited industrialists to examine ironstone in five rural villages, one of which was Ashby. In 1936, Ashby is one of the five villages which were later incorporated to form the town of Scunthorpe. In the 1920's, buses ran from Ashby to Scunthorpe every three minutes from 7am to midnight.
- There is a photo of the old Bakery in Ashby at the North Lincolnshire Archives.
- The national grid reference is SE 8908.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
See the Ashby War Memorial for a list of World War I casualties.
- Ashby is quite a common village name in the Lincolnshire area. The origin of the name is probably Old Scandinavian Aski+by, for "Aski's farmstead", but it could also derive from the words for "farmstead where ash trees grow". In the 1086 Domesday Book it appeares as Aschebi. Later variants include Askebi and the modern form of Ashby does not appear until the early 19th century.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- Maria Borrill has documented "The KENDALL Family of Ashby" in the Linconshire FHS magazine.
- Ashby was an ancient township in Lincoln county and it became a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- The parish was in the ancient Wapentake of Manley in the North Lindsey division in the parts of Lindsey.
- Ashby was a township and village considered part of the Scunthorpe conurbation.
- In October, 1919, the Civil Parish was dissolved and most of the land amalgamated into Scunthorpe.
- A School Board of 5 members was formed April 22, 1879. A Council Schoo was built in 1881 and enlarged in 1889-96, for 598 children.
- An Adult School was opened here in 1909.
- A Council School for infants was built in 1911.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 25-November-2013 - Louis R. Mills]